Pet owner, vet warn of dog overdose risks after outdoor exposure to marijuana

A Winnipeg man is warning pet owners to be aware what their dogs pick up on the ground after his five-month-old puppy consumed some marijuana on a walk this weekend and overdosed — a problem his vet says is becoming all too common.

Damir Stipanovic was taking his poodle puppy Chandler out for a walk in Assiniboine Park last week when he thinks the dog picked up some weed, although he didn’t know it at the time.

After the walk, Stipanovic says Chandler went down for a nap, like he normally does.

“At this point, I didn’t know there was anything wrong. He typically naps for about an hour-and-a-half after his walk in the afternoon and at this point he had been sleeping for about three hours,” Stipanovic said.

But when he tried to get the dog to stand up, that’s when he noticed something was very wrong.

“His feet were crossing, he was wobbling and he would fall on his face,” he said.

Damir Stipanovic’s dog Chandler is recovering after having overdosed on marijuana that he consumed while on a walk. (Submitted by Damir Stipanovic)

Stipanovic took his puppy to the Bridgewater Veterinary Hospital and Wellness Centre, where the vet examined Chandler and determined he had overdosed on marijuana.

They gave him charcoal to expel the drugs from the puppy’s system and Stipanovic ended up leaving with a $500 bill. Luckily, Chandler is okay.

Some dogs…

Original Author Link click here to read complete story..

A Winnipeg man is warning pet owners to be aware what their dogs pick up on the ground after his five-month-old puppy consumed some marijuana on a walk this weekend and overdosed — a problem his vet says is becoming all too common.

Damir Stipanovic was taking his poodle puppy Chandler out for a walk in Assiniboine Park last week when he thinks the dog picked up some weed, although he didn’t know it at the time.

After the walk, Stipanovic says Chandler went down for a nap, like he normally does.

“At this point, I didn’t know there was anything wrong. He typically naps for about an hour-and-a-half after his walk in the afternoon and at this point he had been sleeping for about three hours,” Stipanovic said.

But when he tried to get the dog to stand up, that’s when he noticed something was very wrong.

“His feet were crossing, he was wobbling and he would fall on his face,” he said.

Damir Stipanovic’s dog Chandler is recovering after having overdosed on marijuana that he consumed while on a walk. (Submitted by Damir Stipanovic)

Stipanovic took his puppy to the Bridgewater Veterinary Hospital and Wellness Centre, where the vet examined Chandler and determined he had overdosed on marijuana.

They gave him charcoal to expel the drugs from the puppy’s system and Stipanovic ended up leaving with a $500 bill. Luckily, Chandler is okay.

Some dogs…

Source link

Latest posts